Position Description: Genesee Waterways Center (GWC) maintains facilities for rowing programs, boat storage, kayak rentals and miscellaneous on-the-water programs on the Genesee River. In addition, GWC maintains a whitewater park operation at Lock 32 on the Erie Canal. The GWC Director of Operations will be responsible for execution, coordination, and oversight of the responsibilities listed below.
● Manages organizational effectiveness by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; communicating values, strategies, and objectives; assigning accountabilities; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; developing incentives; developing a climate for offering information and opinions; providing educational opportunities.
● Develops strategic plan by studying financial and program opportunities; presenting assumptions and recommending objectives to the Board of Directors monthly.
● Accomplishes subsidiary (River and Lock 32) objectives by establishing plans, budgets, and results measurements; allocating resources; reviewing progress; making mid-course corrections.
● Coordinates efforts by establishing/maintaining program, operations, marketing, facilities, fiscal, and customer services policies and practices; coordinating actions with GWC staff, coaches, contractors, assistants, instructors, and the Board of Directors.
● Builds GWC presence and image by collaborating with customers, government, community organizations, and employees; enforcing ethical business practices.
● Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards.
● Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
● Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed, supporting fundraising efforts, seeking out grant opportunities, and working with the Board of Directors to apply for grants.
● Receives guidance from the Board of Directors.
Benefits and Compensation: ● $40,000 starting salary
● Bonus and incentive opportunities
● Health benefits
● Paid time off
General Manager Skills and Qualifications:
● The successful applicant will be self-motivated, have a can-do attitude and the willingness to go above and beyond. If you do not know the answer to something you will seek the knowledge necessary to answer the question to resolve issues quickly. You will have excellent communication skills via written and phone communications.
● Excellent computer skills and a good grasp on mobile technology are required. You must learn quickly and seek additional knowledge when necessary.
● Program Development, Staffing, Management Proficiency, Coordination, Coaching Employees, Developing Standards, Financial Planning and Strategy, Process Improvement, Decision Making, Strategic Planning, Quality Management
● 3-5 years experience management experience
● Bachelor’s Degree required
● Must have access to reliable and/or personal transportation.
● Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
● Must be able to traverse the office, boathouse, and docks to access boats and kayaks.
● Occasionally ascends a ladder to access boats or perform basic maintenance.
● Must be able to determine poor weather conditions from long distances.
● Must be able to to move equipment weighing up to 50 pounds from the boathouse to our docks for customers or other miscellaneous purposes.
● Must be able to work in outdoor weather conditions year-round.
Click image for a pdf.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time;
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned; or
This job description is subject to change at any time.
A pdf copy of this job description and duties is linked here.
Genesee Waterways Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Genesee Waterways Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Genesee Waterways Center complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Genesee Waterways Center expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of the Genesee Waterways Center’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Spend your Summer on the water with the Genesee Waterways Center! We employr seasonal staff to work on the waterfront at the Genesee Waterways Center, providing rowing and kayak experiences to our guests. If you are mature, reliable, love being on or near the water, and enjoy helping people make great memories, one of our positions may be a great fit for you! Employment is April – October.
Genesee Waterways Center has various opportunities for employment. In addition to hiring coaches for rowing, we hire seasonal staffs for our Lock 32 Whitewater Park and the boathouse in Genesee Valley Park. Download our Employment Application Form if you are interested and mail to:
PO Box 18607
Rochester, NY 14618
Rowing Coach: Genesee Waterways Center is always looking for enthusiastic, motivated coaches to help us grow our programming quality in breadth and depth. Requirements: Applicants can be volunteers looking to get into certification and future coaching, or experienced coaches with Level I, II or III certification from USRowing and First Aid Training. Starting Pay: Volunteer to $20.00/hour
Rowing Coxswain: Genesee Waterways Center employs dedicated coxswains to work with our Master’s and Learn to Row programs. Requirements: Previous experience is preferred but energy and enthusiasm are the only requirements. We can train you to be an outstanding coxswain. Starting Pay: Volunteer to $10.00/hour
Whitewater Instructor at Lock 32:
Provide instruction for whitewater and flat water customers at Lock 32. Guide flat water clients occasionally. Requirements: Applicants must be polite, responsible, friendly, hard-working, and able to lift 50 pounds. Employees must be able to swim. First aid certification is required. ACA certification is required. Part-time positions are available from June through September. Must be available on weekends. Starting Pay: $12.00/hour
Site Host at Lock 32:
Providing concierge service for whitewater and flatwater customers at Lock 32. General other duties include cleaning equipment, painting, gardening, facilities maintenance, data entry, miscellaneous paperwork. Requirements: Applicants must be polite, responsible, friendly, hard-working, and able to lift 50 pounds. Employees must be able to swim. Prior first aid certification is preferred. Though certification is not required, good whitewater kayak skills are a requirement. Part-time positions are available from June through September. Must be available on weekends. Starting Pay: $10.00/hour
Lock 32 Whitewater Park Positions
Kayak & Canoe Livery at 149 Elmwood Avenue:
Kayak/canoe rentals and providing concierge service for livery customers. General other duties include cleaning equipment, painting, gardening, facilities maintenance, data entry, miscellaneous paperwork. Requirements: Applicants must be polite, responsible, friendly, hard-working, and able to lift 50 pounds. Employees must be able to swim. Prior first aid certification is preferred. Good kayak/canoe skills are a plus. Part-time positions are available from April through October. Must be available on weekends. Starting Pay: $10.00/hour
Canoe/Kayak Guide: Kayak/canoe guides lead group trips along the Genesee River and the Erie Canal, providing educational and entertaining information about local history, the natural environment, and kayaking/canoeing. Requirements: Applicants must be polite, responsible, friendly, hard-working, and able to lift 50 pounds. Teaching experience is required. ACA or BCU Instructor certifications are desirable but not required. First Aid certification is required. Must be able to lift 50 pounds. Current driver’s license and safe driving record are desirable but not required. Part-time positions are available April through
October. Must be available on weekends. Starting Pay: $12/hour
Outrigger Canoe Steersperson/Pilot at 149 Elmwood Avenue:
Train and safely guide GWC guests on the Genesee River and Erie Canal as they paddle. Requirements: Applicants must be polite, responsible, friendly, hard-working, and able to lift 50 pounds. Employees must be able to swim. First aid certification is preferred. Excellent kayak/canoe skills are required. Steers person training is available. Part-time positions are available from April through October. Must be available on weekends. Starting Pay: $12.00/hour